June 29, 2011

Matter: the Lamberts


Let me tell you a story. About my shaping.

When I was 13, my friend was living with his aunt and uncle for a few months, who lived within walking distance from my house. I'd gone over there a few times.

Fast forward to me being 16. His aunt, Linda (pictured above), called me and said she would like me to come work for her. She and her husband had a metal works company. They did high end metal, duct work, kitchen stuff, for hotels, county clubs, etc. I worked in the office with Linda a few days a week (most days in the summer), and learned about invoicing, quotes, business phone etiquette, and so many other things. It was a family business and they welcomed me with open arms. They even took pictures of me and my date before prom. I worked for them into some of my college years (she wrote a letter of recommendation for me), they were at my wedding, and they are a presence in my children's lives. They absolutely are family.

I watched them run their lives and business with monetary prudence. I learned things about car maintenance, plants, food and diet, organization, all from them. She was a strong beacon of love for God while I grew. They decided to invite me to their lives, the office was part of their home, and I had keys, codes, all those things. Looking back, and specifically looking at teenagers in my own life, I am so grateful they thought I was worth investing in.

Having the Lamberts in my life was such a complement to my own parents. I had other adults who so very much agreed with my parents and knew what was right, but still could be a sounding board while I figured out that my parents were right. I'm so grateful.

Who influenced you as a young adult? Do you have pictures to aid in your reminiscence to your own kids?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

beautiful.

so many people influenced me. I've had great people in my life.