November 3, 2009

what i'm working on


this is a large format image (meaning, shot with film and a large format camera) of one my nephews. I shot it with Delta 100 (an ilford film). To get images like these onto the computer, I use a scanner, like an Imacon (which merged with Hasselblad in 2004), which scans the film at a high-resolution rate. Shooting with a large format camera is the rough equivalent of a 150 megapixel camera. However, because of the beauty film gives in its output, even if there were a large format equivalent in the digital world (there is, digital backs for these types, etc etc), I still love the film. It gives me the look I want EVERY TIME. I love his skin tone in this image and the sheen of his hair. He actually reminds me a lot of my brother when he was the same age.

oh, but I digress.

Because I scan the film, dust is introduced into the file as white spots. Fingerprints, etc, are a common ailment of large format photographers, and by scanning the film I am able to remove the dust, scratches, and processing issues from the file SO when I print, I get a gorgeous image every time. The above image has no touch-ups yet, its just what I'll be cleaning up this week.

2 comments:

Adam M Moore said...

SO awesome! I'm looking into getting into large format photography (4x5) since the largest I've gone is medium format thus far. But, I'm scared. What about processing? Where, how much, etc? Thanks!

Kiera said...

Looking at this image gets me soooo excited for my own.